Monday, January 12, 2009

We made an offer

Yes, you read the title correctly, we began our house/mortgage/etc search on January 4th and made an offer for a house on January 11th. I can't even believe it! This weekend was absolutely fantastic. Friday night Matt and I watched Juno which I had seen before but he hadn't. I forgot how awesome that movie is and Matt loved it as well. Saturday morning came and it was time to meet up with our realtor to go see the 7 houses we had selected. Some were a little scary and some were ok but not what we were looking for. Our second choice house of the day was actually one where I think a squatter was living in there.. and may have been there while we were.. it was a little scary. But that house was cool and had great potential. The house that we fell in love with was the last house we saw. After seeing the houses we decided to go to Panera for lunch where we ran into Jay, Scruff & Scruff's girlfriend. What a fun group of people, they ended up sitting with us for about an hour, which was good to get our minds clear about the house. After lunch we drove up to the house again to see the neighborhood again and decided we would come back that evening after my work party to see what it was like in the middle of the night. (I promise I am getting to actual house details).

Saturday night was my work party and it was ridiculously fun. We had the same band that played at our wedding - our good friends Flux Capacitor - 80s cover band. Matt and I ended up dancing for almost 2 hours! We had a blast and everyone absolutely loved the band. I heard all about it at work today :)

Ok so the house. I don't want to give the address because I have this paranoid feeling that someone will steal it from us, haha. I will give those sorts of details if everything works out. And I don't have any good pictures unfortunately. I will also get those if everything works out, I promise. The house is everything we were looking for. Not only does it have the things we needed (3 bed, 2 bath with a basement) but it has so many of the things on our wish list. It is 100% remodeled, originally built in 1943. The remodel is beautiful. It even has a pantry and a laundry room which we weren't expecting either of. The kitchen is a-m-a-zing and overlooks the living room. Gas stove. Under-mounted sink. Master bath room with TWO sinks, connected to the master bedroom. The perfect basement = enough room for Matt's band practice and a lot of storage. Beautiful hardwoods. Already a good paint color on the wall - neutral brown/tan. The layout is awesome. The yard is small which is fine, less to take care of. And there is a perfect spot for a garden. Walkability - we can walk to the Marietta square and some of the new shops going up. The neighborhood is quiet - we went at midnight on Saturday night and there was not a single person walking around and we turned the car off with the windows down and could not hear anything. The house originally sold for $100k MORE than what it is on the market for now (a year or two ago) and the house next door that has the same remodel, and it is smaller, sold in August 07 for $65k more than ours is on the market for.

Our hopes are up even though we wished they weren't. We keep telling ourselves there are more houses out there in case this one falls through. It is actually a bank owned foreclosure. Banks take longer than sellers to get back with you and go through the process so although we made the offer on Sunday afternoon, we put a time limit of Wednesday at 5pm on it. So now we wait. All day I waited for my phone to ring but nothing yet. Hopefully they will give us some of what we asked for ($10k off the asking price + $9 worth of stuff.. haha). You never know, they might be really desperate.. everyone seems to be right now. Send some luck our way and I will keep you posted with what happens.

In other news, just made my weekly grocery store run. I came in a little over budget for the week (still on track for the month) but that included 10+ lbs of chicken! We definitely have a ton of stockpiled food right now so I am hoping to not have to buy very much at all next week.

Hope you all had a fantastic weekend too. Happy Monday!

2 comments:

Mrs. Fox said...

YAY! Congrats!! I can't believe it happened so fast! I'm glad your company party was so good too and that everyone loved the band!
I'll email you about a bread-making day!
Have an awesome day!!

Unknown said...

10 lbs of Chicken! Well done! Eat more chicken! and get the lean stuff so that we can have the fat!

 
template by suckmylolly.com