Saturday, December 6, 2008

Our first Christmas tree!

Before I post about the Christmas tree, I wanted to post this photo of a sunrise at work this past week. I got off the elevator and turned to walk into work and this is what I saw (looking down 75S to downtown Atlanta with cloud cover - sorry it is blurry):

Anyway, on to the post. So far the things in life that have made me feel like an adult (hm, besides getting married, working, etc), are handing out candy to children on Halloween and having my very own, live Christmas tree. Last night Matt and I headed out to find a tree that would fit in our little apartment. We called Big John's to see if they had any short trees (Home Depot didn't) and they did so we headed over. We ended up picking the first tree that I saw that I liked which is 5 feet tall, a perfect fit. We put the tree in the trunk of my Civic (it fit, no need to tie it on top! except for the needles in the car now), and headed to Walmart to buy a tree stand and some lights. Followed by Trader Joe's for some yummy wine, cheese & bread.

We came home and got the tree set up and I put all of the lights on, 2 strands of colored lights. I grew up with colored lights but Matt wanted white lights. He let me do my thing and I think he still wishes they were white, oh well. It is nice to have such a short tree because I could decorate the whole thing without having to stand on a chair. I got out my little collection of ornaments and we placed those on the tree along with these little handmade bluebirds that Matt's mom made for our rehearsal dinner. We even had an angel to put on the top thanks to Matt's mom who was going to throw this one away! After we put up the tree we watched Elf and I even was awake until 10:45 which hasn't happened in a while on a Friday night! (tree pictures below)

Today has been "get things done" day. I set my alarm at 8 to get up and begin completely cleaning the apartment because we have a few guests coming over this week. We haven't had people over in a long time so you can imagine what the apartment looks like. I have also cooked a lot today - boiled and cut up 2lbs of chicken, made some bread dough, and am baking oatmeal butterscotch cookies right now (for potluck at church tomorrow). The goal for the potluck was for me to make a dessert I already had all of the ingredients for. Of course I didn't have butter. My wonderful husband headed over to Kroger and brought back 3 packages of butter :) Later I will make some pizza dough so we can have barbecue chicken pizza tonight. Busy, busy, busy. I feel productive though.

Oh! And a nice surprise was that while Matt and I were eating lunch our wedding album was delivered by the mailman to our door! It is so exciting to finally have this in our possession and it looks amazing. Our photographer was Rebecca Cipolla (www.rebeccacipollaphotography.com) and I would recommend her to everyone for photos. Especially if you need any sort of baby photos, she does the most amazing job, I know Matt and I will continue to use her for portraits in the future. I am surprised to receive this photo album today because she just had a baby on Tuesday. She either mailed this right before that or right after, quite a trooper.

Anyway, on to the tree pictures :)

Putting the tree in the stand.. the tree was almost too small for it!
Putting on the lights
All done!
Living room view of finished tree (almost clean room!)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have a similar situation. Elizabeth grew up with colored lights and i grew up with white ones. We went back and fourth (for about 30 seconds) trying to decide on which one we were going to use. We finally compromised and choose colored lights.

 
template by suckmylolly.com