Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Marathon recap

Although it felt like it would never come, our marathon has now come and gone. After 18 weeks of training I was ready for it to be over with and very excited at the same time. [Note 18 weeks of training = 15 weeks ending with a 20 mile run and then running 2 or 3 times in the next 3 weeks after that before the race.. oops] One concern I had the whole time was that my knee(s) wouldn't hold up through 26.2 miles (yes it's 26.2.. I had someone ask me if it was 7?? haha). Want to know how my knees did? Here is a recap for you from what I remember correctly:


5:30am - wake up, it's race day!
6:20am - out the door to walk to the metro
6:45am - walk out of the metro right in front of the Pentagon and walk 1 mile to starting area
7:20am - drop off bag and wait in line for porta-potties
8:00am - cannons go off and the race has started!
8:20am - Emili and I finally cross the start line

Miles 1-8: running (on the roads) through beautiful forests / trees all changing colors. Also, scenery is dotted by men and women *ahem* relieving themselves on the side of the road into the forests. I guess they didn't want to wait in the lines. Emili and I are running 4 minutes, walking 1 minute, over and over. We also started by Arlington Cemetery.

Miles 8-10: Running past Georgetown University and through Georgetown - it was so cute! Still going.. been through a few water stops and eaten a few things.

Mile 11: We found Renee, our awesome cheerleader!! Took a picture with her and her sign (see facebook profile pic). Running by Potomac and Jefferson memorial.

Miles 12-15: Running through Hains Point. Everything is flat from here on out (although the hills before weren't bad at all). We made 13.1 miles in under 3 hours (I think we might finish in under 6!)

Miles 15 - 20: Running around the Mall. We pass Washington Monument, White House, the Capital, etc. We have to "beat the bridge" and get to mile 20 by 1:15pm in order to be allowed to finish the race. It's probably about 12:30 so we're fine. We find Renee's roommate Meryl who walks with us for about a mile and then we find Renee again right before the bridge.

Mile 20: We "beat the bridge"! Now, we have been going slower.. Emili has been power walking while I jog slowly.. on and off. by mile 20, my knees are done.

Miles 20-26.2: Walking. Slowly. The whole time. (along with everyone around us, haha).

Mile 26: Almost there!

Mile 26.1999: Ok time to pretend to jog again because you are 10 feet from the finish line

Mile 26.2: Done!! Done!! we did it!! Oh and our time was 6:29. So much for finishing in under 6 hours, blame that on my knees which were in so much pain.

It was an amazing experience and I'm so glad I did it. I will never do it again thanks to my knees but it was awesome. A fantastic way to 'celebrate' me and Emili's 20 years of friendship. I may do a half marathon sometime though.. :) And Emili ran after having been 'diagnosed' with bronchitis last week so way to go Emili!

You can check out some pictures here. No laughing - you didn't run a marathon. It was great how many photographers they had out there!

1 comments:

Mrs. Fox said...

I read it! :) Now I know the details aside from from the airplane. :) That sounds like a really cool marathon because of all the sites! I'm super impressed with both of y'all!

 
template by suckmylolly.com